Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My two dogs caught a squirrel and ate it, is this normal?

Both of them caught a squirrel and both of them ate it. Is this something to be worried about?My two dogs caught a squirrel and ate it, is this normal?
All you need to worried about is the bones i think they will be fine yes it is normal for dogs to catch squirrels.My two dogs caught a squirrel and ate it, is this normal?
dogs are predatory animals.. carnivores





squirrils are prey








yep, perfectly normal, and natural.





probably the healthiest meal they ever had.
Apart from the possibility that now this has happened, they might move on to the neighbourhood cats, the only thing I'd be concerned about is the possibility of parasites and specifically worms. And if you are in that sort of country, rabies.





Normal - of course!
Not at all. My husbands dog ate a dead squirrel once and then threw it up. The dog started to again eat the squirrel (he just threw up). My husbands buddy that was standing there was so disgusted by it that he threw up and then the dog went over and started to eat my husbands friends vomit. Disgusting.





There are some of are friends that LOVE when we tell that story. poor kid...lol





Dogs do really gross things and always seem to be fine. Besides this is an instinctual habit. I am sure the pups are alright :)
Yes, it is normal.





Realize though, they may get parasites from eating it though. Next time you go in for your regular annual physical for the dogs, bring along a fecal sample.





Best wishes...
Yuck!! My concern would be if the squirrel had rabies. Guess you 'll just have to either take then to the vet or wait and see. I'd call the vet and get his/her opinion.
Yep, for abnormal see: two squirrels caught a dog and ate it.


My dachshund swallowed a large rabbit whole once!
perfectly normal, it saved you gutting and skinning it any way lol


but on a more serious note its has bean known for squirrel brains to carry mad cow disease
';Normal';??? For predators to catch %26amp; eat prey???


DUH?


NOTHING to freak about ....praise em!
not really i'd say. my dog ate a battery
It's called ';survival of the fittest';. It happens every day in the animal would. My pets catch birds, mice...you name it.
Yes, it is normal, my Lab/Chow mix is Squirrel CRAZY!


You need to be worried. Dogs view squirrels as prey.





Chuckles
Uh, yesssssssssss - it's how dogs survived before being domesticated. LOL #
It is normal, we are talking instincts here. Just make sure they do not do it to any small animals that are pets. I would discourage it. Do not praise your dog for this. Even though it is their instincts they do not need it to survive anymore. You feed them, you are master, they should obey. One day your dogs may chase the neighbors cat and eat it and if it is on their property they can sue you.





In many states you can shoot a dog on the spot for chaseing things like deer and such.





I forbid my dog to chase small animals since we have other small animals as pets. I introduce them as ';babies'; (word meaning be careful) and she knows to be gentle.
yes.... both cats and dogs have instincts that has the need/want to kill.... my dog has been trying to get a bird but never gets one.... my cat gets birds and would eat them.... or the dog.... its ok.... its what they do
Really!? Take them 2 a vet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment