Saturday, August 21, 2010

If a dog kills a squirrel will the dog eat it?

My dog killed a squirrel, it was half dead he was sniffing it. The dog came in and I went outside later the squirrel was gone, I'm not sure if he ate it or buried it because my dog's nose was full of dirt. I have a golden retriever.If a dog kills a squirrel will the dog eat it?
He could have done either... sometimes dogs will eat things they kill but sometimes they burry them... if the squirrel turns up in a few days or weeks then he burried it... when dogs burry stuff they usually go back for it.If a dog kills a squirrel will the dog eat it?
DUH???


How ignorant be ya be???


OF COURSE!!





It won't hurt it a BIT!!!
I have a black lab and I guarantee that she would have ate it.
no
I would lean toward burying it. I used to have two dogs (one was a lab) that would kill ground squirrels and they would always either drop them, or stash them. Maybe so they could roll in it later or have have a midnight snack??????
could be either. Dogs eat prey. Others hide thier trophies. Best is when they bring it inside to show you thier accomplishment.
That depends on the dog. As long as he is up to date on all vaccinations he should be ok. just keep an eye on him for a day or so. Pay attention that he's eating and drinking normally. If anything changes in his eating/drinking/resting habits, then there's a need for concern.





And could you have him e-mail my Bailey and tell her how he caught the squirrel? Bailey's been tryin' for sometime now and she just can't seem to catch one. I keep telling her that the squirrels in our yard are on to her stalking, but she never tries any new techniques.
my dog usually just rolls around in it to get the smell on him. i think its kindof like he wants to show it off.
I hope not, but if he did, then you have a dog that has gotten the taste for blood. Please check with a breeder for this problem, and a trainer. The breeder will be able to tell you if this is a normal fault with the breed.
Good possiblity that he buried it then. But good chance he ate it too. Hard to tell. It won't hurt him to eat something like that.
yes he ate the squirrel that breed eats them all the time.
My dog carries them around, but my neighbor's dog eats them right away. All dogs are different. If you did not find any blood outside chances are that he buried it.
All I can tell you is my dog did,he was a mixed breed he would go hunting squirrel with me when I shot a squirrel he would bring it to me I would skin it and then he would eat it.
most likely... he probly would give it to you as a gift or something... or play with it then eat it... dont let him though cause he could get worms and the med. care cause $200.
He probably buried it, Unless they are living in the wild they won't eat it, they were bred as hunting dogs, it is just they're nature to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment