Saturday, July 31, 2010

What can I do if I see a squirrel get run over?

I was a few yards away and I saw it running to make it across the street. It didnt quite make it and its legs were crushed under a bus. It lay still in the street while all I could do is cry. I didn't know what to do. Do I go over there? I was afraid the sight would send me into a severe panic attack (which I get alot). I didnt know if I should pick it up or what! I cried hysterically cuz I'm really sensitive about animals





another car came and it looked like it ran over its tail just as it looked as if the squirrel was trying to move. It jumped and flipped around then fell flat again as though it were unconscious. I was hating myself for not knowing what to do. Then it woke up again and flipped around and it's tail and leg was a mangled mess. It hopped and flipped and made strange noises and went under a parked car then it disappeard.





This is haunting me, I pride myself on always being a hero, but here I didnt know what to do.


Someone please advise.What can I do if I see a squirrel get run over?
Not much you could have done. Once an animal loses it's legs it's pretty much done for anyway and had you rescued it and brought it to the vet he probably would have recommended putting it to sleep to end it's pain. I read this article about squirrels (has some neat facts) on fox news' web site. It says approximately 80% of squirrels are killed by cars, not old age or anything.


http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Dec11/0鈥?/a>What can I do if I see a squirrel get run over?
Wild Animals do carry Diseases and the only thing you could do was say a prayer and move on.Nothing you could do it might have eatten you up if you tried rescue.S.....Happens sometimes and our hands are tied.It was it's Time to go!God knows our every thought !
What you witnessed was a fact of life and death i`m sad to say,but you must give thanks it was not a child.You could not have helped the poor animal in any way.In your life you may see similar small tragedy's and you may or may not be able to help but maybe one time you can so just think about the help for animals ,that you as a caring person can assist and care about.
I, too, love animals and am saddened when I see one injured or killed. While it is easy to rescue some animals, like a bird with a broken wing, it is much harder, emotionally, to deal with an animal that is in such pain as that poor squirrel.





The first thing you need to do is stop beating yourself up for not doing anything. You did not go out today thinking, ';I must be strong, and I must be ready to help an animal in distress.'; This incident took you by surprise, and you were understandably shook up.





Also, because it was not something you could be prepared for, you probably had no safe way to capture the animal and transport him to help. You would have been bitten. Any animal, even a beloved pet, will bite when in extreme pain and fear. Trying to handle a wild animal in that condition would have put you at unnecessary risk for injury.





Say a little prayer for the squirrel, that he passed out and did not feel any more pain, and that he died quickly. And go on, knowing that there was nothing you could have done for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment